Earlier this month we talked about how to modify Tree (Vrksasana) Pose so you that can personalize it and therefore maximize the improvement of your balance. In this blog we will focus on the other benefits Tree Pose offers, in addition to being a great way to improve your balance.
If you pause for a moment and just think about all that is involved with doing Tree Pose, the list of benefits will probably not surprise you. The grounding and connecting of the one foot into the floor. All the weight shifted to one leg during the pose. The tightening of the core to help with balance. The positioning of the hips to help the body remain stable in the pose. The list of benefits is pretty easy to guess, but here we go…
Benefits of Tree Pose:
- It improves balance and stability in the legs
- It strengthens the ligaments and tendons in the feet
- It strengthens and tones the entire standing leg, all the way up to the buttocks
- It helps the body in establishing pelvic stability
- It strengthens the bones of the hips and legs (due to the weight-bearing nature of the pose)
- Being able to accomplish this pose, with or without modifications, can help build self-confidence and esteem
When you know what benefits a pose can offer, you can choose the poses that will help you reach your individual yoga and wellness goals. Truthfully, just the benefits in the area of balance alone is enough to make this a “must do” pose but, given all Tree pose has to offer, it should definitely be a part of your yoga routine. Namaste.